Saturday, October 1, 2022

Shades

 Today has been a mix of bright sunny spells and lashing down rain with some cloudy bits in between. Earlier, I was sitting with my tea and doing some simple sewing at our dining table in the small conservatory. When I went in, it was cloudy and pleasant. I sat and listened to the river flow by as I worked--it rained hard the other night and at times yesterday so it's running high and fast. Then the sun came out. It was getting warm. The sun was bothering my eyes and I had to grab my sunglasses. I've been putting them on and taking them off all day and we haven't even gone outside! It is so bright when the sun is out and gets warm quickly. There are blinds on all the windows in there, but I like to be able to see out. We do keep them down on the three windows on one side because when the sun is out, it beams in through those for hours. I've realized that the space will be unusable in summer as far as sitting in there goes--I will keep the doors closed. But I think I will probably use it as a greenhouse and try to grow some tomatoes in a pot or two. They don't grow well outdoors here, but are great in a polytunnel. I don't have one of those, but this should work just as well, especially with the long hours of daylight. In the meantime, I will keep my sunglasses handy for the times when the sun is shining. We're getting into the time of year where that's not as much of a thing, and there won't be as much daylight in any case. At this moment, there's a bit of everything. The sun is shining on the trees, there's a black cloud above us, and the rain has started pattering on the roof. 

Happy October! 🎃

4 comments:

Vicki said...

I'd love to grow some grape tomatoes etc. indoor.

It's calm here after Ian, a bit cloudy and 86°. We didn't get much damage, only a few shingles flew off, but some friends have lost everything. I don't want to see another hurricane for a very long time.

Shari Burke said...

I'm glad you're OK and without much damage. I'm so sorry for your friend, though. It seems terrifying when I see video and photos.

Brenda said...

Tomato idea sounds great. I hope you like your new place. Sounds so nice and a place you can be happy...enjoy your books.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Brenda! I am very glad to be here. Happy reading to you, too :-)