Thursday, October 27, 2022

I Am Easily Thrilled

 It's Thursday, so that means veg man comes to town! Yay! I love, love, love having a local veg man again! Today we were picking our produce when I glanced ahead of me, stopped, and did a sort of happy gasp as I spotted the bags of cranberries piled up in a nearby crate. Cranberries aren't as much of a thing here as they are in the US and I may or may not be able to get some in December. There's no Thanksgiving here, so we usually don't see them until then, if at all. Then sometimes they come in a large plastic punnet, which we avoid. So to see them in October and without punnets made me very happy indeed! I bought three bags. I stuck one in our wee freezer compartment, saved some to make a loaf of orange cranberry bread, and made jam with the rest.
I dumped the cranberries, so sugar, and a bit of water into a pot.
Stirred for a few minutes (the induction hob is fast) while they popped and cooked down and 5 minutes later, I had my jam. 
I will get more bags as long as he has them. 

The very first day we were in this town, we called in at the small local grocery store and as we walked by the produce, I exclaimed to Bill, 'They have loose parsnips!' There was a guy right behind me and I'm sure he thought I'd gone mad, getting excited about parsnips. 😂 But those usually come wrapped in too much plastic packaging (those punnets again!) so we didn't buy them. Now I can (and do) get them there or at veg man's stall. I am thrilled. 

Yes, it doesn't take much to make me happy. 


4 comments:

Vicki said...

Such good luck! I never knew what those little green plastic thing fruit came in at the flea markets/produce stands were called. Thanks for letting us know!

Shari Burke said...

They have too much plastic packaging here so I am glad to have more options now. Loose produce is not as much of a thing in grocery stores here, although some places are now offering a bit more. The greengrocers are good, though, whether it's a shop or mobile like veg man.

Rostrose said...

Dear Shari,
I can understand your joy - I'm always happy when I discover goods without plastic. In the organic farm shop (a few towns further) there are also unpackaged parsnips, but you can't buy cranberries here at all. (At least I haven't seen any yet...) Ther's only ready-made cranberry-jam in the shops, but i can buy it in organic quality and it tastes very good. What foods do you eat cranberry jam with? For example, I like it with wild duck or Wiener Schnitzel...
I wish you wonderful last days of October and Happy Halloween!
All the best from Austria,
Traude

Shari Burke said...

Hi Traude,
I put the jam in my porridge, on toast/muffins and on leftover chicken when we have it, either on the chicken or in a sandwich.
Happy Halloween to you, too!