Thursday, September 1, 2022

Amused and Happy

 I went to the pharmacy this morning to get my second booster. As I was sitting off to the side waiting to be called into the little room, an older woman came in. She had one of those walking frames with wheels and a seat that folds up and down. She sat down and was talking to everyone. She must be some kind of town celebrity or something, because people were going up to her and saying, 'Hi, Mary! How've you been?' and engaging in general chit-chat. If someone did not see her, she called out to them and waited for them to come over. It's a small place, so one way or another, everyone in the store was spotted and either went over on their own or were called over to have an audience with Mary. She seemed quite happy sitting there. As people left and she had no one else to chat with, she looked around. Her eyes fell on me. 'Hello,' she said. 'Hi,' I replied. 'I don't know you, do I?' she asked. 'No, I just moved here,' I told her. 'Oh, is that what it is,' she commented. And then I was called in for my jab. I went in smiling, amused at the whole scene.

I got Moderna this time, after getting Pfizer/BioNtech for the first three jabs. I must say that I am surprised to not be in bed with an upset stomach by now, feeling achy and shivering. After I came home, we went off to veg man and I strained some yogurt I'd made, trying to get tasks completed before the expected side effects kicked in. So far, 9 hours later, I am still waiting. I've had chills a few times, my arm is tired and the upper arm muscle hurts when I use it. I've felt a bit off all day, but nothing like what I've experienced after previous jabs. So I'm grateful for that. 

Another thing that makes me very happy today is the fact that it is meteorological autumn! Hurray! I'm enjoying the seasonal colour I see around me when I go outside.

in person, the pinkish ones are a much deeper burgundy colour

I hope your day brings happiness and moments of amusement, too.


2 comments:

Vicki said...

Reminds me of a town I used to live in, in Ohio. It was so small that it only had one traffic light which was on Main St. It was the "Village Of Oak Hill". So small that everyone knew each other and always spoke to each other. I miss that. I've thought about moving back since I'm still friends with a lot of my high school friends, but my kids/grandkids/great granddaughter live where I am now. I think you and Bill hit the jackpot this time.

Shari Burke said...

One of the friends who helped us move said she thought this was our best place yet. We bumped into a neighbour of sorts the other day and introduced ourselves. She knew where we live and where we came from--LOL I'm looking forward to getting involved in some community stuff and then I'll know more people. :-)

Your village probably has someone like the Mary I 'met' today :-)