Sunday, June 20, 2021

Scraps to Socks

 I continue to use various scraps to make stuff. I love using bits and bobs of leftovers and odd balls to make something new. This time, I discovered a fairly large ball of leftover sock yarn when I was gathering my scraps to work with on my triangular pin loom. I'd made myself a pair of socks using that and some other leftover superwash wool from a cone that I got years ago at a charity shop for one euro. I have made many things with that cone and there is still some left. By using that kind of yarn for cuffs, I can make sock yarn go further. For the feet, which get a lot of wear, wool and nylon is best (usually 75% wool and 25% nylon). The wool is warm and the nylon provides strength so socks don't wear out after they're worn a few times. But the cuffs aren't subject to that kind of wear, so using superwash wool works great for those. Anyway, I had enough of that sock yarn left to make two more feet and plenty of plain superwash for cuffs, so I cast on the first sock of a pair for Bill a few months ago. This was a project that I could pick up and put down here and there as the mood struck. Last night, I did the toe decreases and wove in the ends of the second sock. 
He likes his feet plain, so this was a good mindless project, only requiring attention when doing the heel flap and turn and then at the toe decreases. Later, I'll be casting on with the light grey again, in an attempt to use up the rest of what's on that cone. At the same time I discovered the green/grey, I came across leftovers of some black and grey--there should be enough to make myself a pair of socks. If I run out near the end, I'm cool with adding in some other scraps to eke out the pair. I used to know people who would get very disturbed about socks not matching. Lucky for me, I am not one of those people. The funkier, the better, as far as I am concerned!

Just  few hours until solstice as I type and then we turn the corner and start heading towards autumn and winter. Whoop!

8 comments:

Vicki said...

I like those socks! I like funkier too, I'm a hippy at heart :)

Shari Burke said...

Me, too! We have a joke now, based on words some people have used to describe us since we came to Ireland. One person said she was glad her friend, who was our neighbour, had respectable people living by her. I still wonder why she thought that about us, having only seen us walking around with our backpacks! When we moved and met new neighbours, one described us as sensible and another as aging hippies. So now I say that I'm a respectable, sensible aging hippy. 😃

I don't think I ever posted my patchwork poncho. I need to do that. Too warm for summer, but I love it!

Rostrose said...

Haha, a hippy at heart, so am I. Let me be the third person in your league ;-) But I can't knit socks. It's great that you use scraps of wool to create such beautiful socks! At the moment, however, I am already getting hot at the THOUGHT to put them on now. It's sooooooooooooooo hot here! Every thread of clothing is too much.
All the best,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/06/zwei-gerettete-naturparadiese.html

Shari Burke said...

Truth be told, I am not wearing socks today myself, Traude, but we are nowhere close to your temperatures! I know what you mean--one can always warm up by adding more layers, but eventually there's nothing else to take off to cool down! I hope it cools down soon.

Iris Flavia said...

Ohhhh. Ingo´s late Grandma I found on the floor...

Preparing just what you did.
Little parts of wool, side by side.
I - the whole family - loves these socks!

Yes. Days are getting shorter now, my bu-huuu. But I can look forward to the socks at least. She made so many!
The first was "an accident", (Christmas, she could not buy more wool and I ended up with a mixed pair as welcome) - I loved it and then the whole family "required" them - "I" gave her a new hobby (she at first stated I´m just polite liking them - hahaha.... you can buy this nowhere, it´s made of love, you cannot buy love, either.)

Great you´re in this, also!!

Shari Burke said...

Never want to waste wool! That would be disrespecting the sheep ;-)

Iris Flavia said...

Määääähhhh. :-)
That´s how ours talk.
& a u m l ;
in HTML, blogger takes it.

Shari Burke said...

Baaaa in the US. Oddly enough, living as I do in a land of sheep, I am not sure whether it's the same or different here!

I can do it on my tablet, but will have to play around on my computer--thanks for the tip!

Tschüssi! 😉