Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Not Bad

 I made some ricotta yesterday, using whey saved from straining homemade yogurt. I will probably make a savoury spread with some of it, but this morning for breakfast, I put a couple spoonfuls in a bowl, topped with thawed frozen blueberries and raspberries, sprinkled with walnuts and flaked almonds, and munched. Yum! Along with a piece of toast and a mug of oolong tea, it really hit the spot. 
And, in what seems like a gift, it was unexpectedly raining. All in all, it wasn't a bad way to start a summer morning.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Sounds lovely to me. I forget what rain looks, feels and smells like.

Homemade ricotta? I'm impressed.

Shari Burke said...

The rain was a welcome surprise!

Ricotta is really easy and so, so good! Just slowly heat milk, stirring frequently, and some kind of acid until it curdles and is about 180F. I use whey from yoghurt that I make and strain, but some people use lemon juice or vinegar. Once the mixture curdles, let it sit for 10 minutes, then strain. Of course, then I have more whey left, but I use that in bread or muffins. 😃

Vicki said...

We're in our rainy season so we have a lot of rain, sometimes multiple times a day and I just got a notice that there may be flooding in the county I live in but farther south.

Iris Flavia said...

Very cool to learn how ricotta is made! A customer / friend once gave me ... oh, I forgot, some spores, and it tasted awful I must´ve done it wrong... That was when I still worked and had no idea of how to make food, not his fault! Now I would dare. Looks a tad sweet but healthy! Rainy here, too! Yipeee. Temp-wise rather your weather, though, only 17C.

Shari Burke said...

Glad you're not in the potential flood zone, Vicki! Fingers crossed that the flooding doesn't arrive!🤞

Not too sweet, Iris--the raspberries are fairly tart and I don't add any sweetener. Enjoy the rain! Decent day here for the time of year. Still, I have made sure to do what I needed to do with the oven so I don't have to turn it on again this week. I want no added hot air! 🙂