Saturday, June 19, 2021

Had a Craving

 This morning after breakfast, I got out all the stuff I'd need to make a big batch of hummus. I just had a craving.
Like almost everything else I make, it's never exactly the same every time. I don't measure--just eyeball stuff and watch the consistency. This time the different thing was the peri-peri seasoning I added. I love this stuff. I'd never heard of it until we came to Ireland and I saw it in grocery stores on other things. After looking it up, I thought it sounded good, so I bought a foil tray of peri peri (sometimes spelled piri piri) potatoes for roasting at the local grocery store. They were soooo good! Now Aldi sells the seasoning in a jar, so I keep some in the cupboard to use in various dishes. The seasoning consists of crushed chillis, onion granules, salt, dried garlic, dried orange peel, black pepper, chilli pepper powder, lemon peel, bay leaf, paprika, coriander seeds, parsley, cumin, and oregano, in that order, most to least.

Because I have a mini food processor, I do the hummus in three batches and then just mix together afterwards. Into the processor bowl, I dump some drained canned chick peas, some tahini, olive oil, some onion cooked until translucent, some jalapeno slices from a jar, sundried tomato, chargrilled peppers, garlic granules, oregano, parsley, peri peri seasoning, then whiz until smooth and creamy. If it's too lumpy, I add a bit more oil and whiz again. I use the entire jar of sun dried tomato and chargrilled pepper, along with the two cans of chick peas, so it makes a large batch, which is handy to have in the fridge.
I taste it, of course, as I'm making it, to see if anything needs to be adjusted. It is hard for me to stop at a tiny bit. I find it almost addicting and I have to force myself to put it away for later, rather than gobbling down spoonful after spoonful. But today I summoned up some willpower and it's resting in the fridge for later, flavours melding together. I will enjoy it for supper tonight. And lunch tomorrow and the day after that, and...

Hope it's a nice day in your neck of the woods!

6 comments:

Vicki said...

Sounds so good! I'll have to look for peri-peri seasoning.

Shari Burke said...

It's yummy! It originated in southern Africa, in either Mozambique or Angola. I had no idea.

Iris Flavia said...

Is that a sloth in the background? (Sorry, he stole the show!).
You have a "chopper", too :-)
Ingo just came in, "oh, that´s our kitchen-machine!". No.
I´ll keep my eyes open for peri peri (but likely our ALDI doesn´t have it, it´s even splitted with different products for Northern and Southern Germany).

:-) You´re like Ingo. He tastes so much and often he´s not hungry anymore when it´s ready!

What do you eat with the hummus?

Well, it´s great here - you wouldn´t like it, though, already 20C, sunny, 28 will come, awww. We have melon in the fridge and will enjoy it on the balcony!
Hope your yummy Sunday is good, too.

Shari Burke said...

Yup, that's my sloth! Bill got it for me on our anniversary one year--here's a better pic:
https://shariburke.blogspot.com/2019/08/chilling-on-39th.html

I think you will have to copy and paste the link--I don't know how to make it 'live'

The peri-peri seasoning is pretty new in our Aldi--just showed up within the last month or two. I was irrationally happy when I saw it--LOL

Sometimes I use the hummus as a dip with tortilla chips or carrot sticks, sometimes I spread it on crackers or toast, or I put it in a wrap with a bunch of veggies. It's great with rocket. Sometimes I put it in lettuce leaves instead of wraps. It just depends on what I have and what I feel like. I saw a video recently where a woman needed to use up what was left in a store-bought container of hummus and she needed salad dressing, so she added some oil to the hummus to thin it down and drizzled that over her salad. I have not tried this yet, but seems like a good idea.

You're right! I would not enjoy the weather there :-) Supposed to be 17 today and that bums me out. But I am cheered by the fact that we are now less than 24 hours until solstice! Tomorrow at this time, we will have turned the corner and will be heading in the right direction! Yay!

Iris Flavia said...

License to chill, how very cute is that!!!!
Oh, it´s very easy to make it live:

Text - as in really in "".

That´s it :-) Easy-peasy.

Hmm... carrot-sticks, good idea with that! Yes, lettuce leaves are better.
Nice to learn not many people waste food - oh, what we saw on holidays at "all inclusive", horrible!

17 is too much already, oh.... Jacket, please!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks! I'll try it next time! πŸ™‚

I'm a single digit kind of gal πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ƒπŸ€ͺπŸ₯΅