Friday, May 21, 2021

Triangle to Square to Circle the Head

 I recently finished weaving enough triangles on my pin loom to create a hat, which I love. My triangular pin loom has the pins closer together than my square or heart, so fingering/sock yarn is perfect. I love the way the sock yarn weaves up on this loom, although sometimes with yarns that have longer colour changes, the triangles are just a single colour. It's fun to see how each yarn behaves on the loom. 

I finish all my pin loom weaving pieces by crocheting a slip stitch border around the edge. I like this better than just leaving the loops as they are when they come off the loom--it adds a nice frame and it gives a sturdier edge for connecting pieces. In this case, I decided to add another crochet border with dark blue laceweight yarn, which made the colours pop.

To start, I put four triangles together to form a square, which became the crown of the hat.

Then I added triangles along each edge, point side down. The next round was triangles in the corner spaces, points towards the corners. Then two more rounds like that, before a couple rounds of crochet at the brim.



Since it's all sock yarn, which is superwash, laundering will not shrink the triangles, but the dark blue is plain wool, so I did toss the hat in the wash just to firm that part up a bit. It's a slouchy sort of hat, but not a huge slouch. It's lightweight, colourfully funky, and comfortable to wear. I had lots of fun making it. I do love my pin looms!

8 comments:

Vicki said...

So pretty!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Vicki!

Iris Flavia said...

Very cool! Like to see it in "real life"! If you like.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks! I'll try to remember to post a pic soon :-)

Iris Flavia said...

Good! 9C here, cloudy, could still use my Happy Hat!

Lowcarb team member said...

That looks great and I like the colours.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

I've moved to lighter hats now, with my winter ones put away :-( I like my lighter hats, too, but I do hate the warmer weather.

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan! :-)