Wednesday, May 26, 2021

A Morning Adventure

This night owl stayed up a bit later than usual last night reading. There was some clown parked outside blasting some sort of talk. It wasn't music, which I suppose is good, since it might have been really horrible music. It sounded like someone giving a talk or speech or something. I could not hear the words, just the cadence and the voice, which I wasn't keen on hearing at 2-ish. Finally it stopped and I went to bed (kind of against my will, since I would have liked to stay up and finish the book). I woke up this morning in my usual summer befuddled state. I had to run through all the usual things in my head. What day is it? What is on my to-do list today? What have I planned for supper and what do I need to do ahead of time? It was all just like every other morning until I flushed. I woke up pretty quickly when water started spraying from the pipe connecting the tank and the bowl. I grabbed a mop and started sopping up the water. When that was soaking wet, I grabbed another one to finish cleaning up. Then I woke up a still-sleeping Bill to tell him not to flush and I filled a bucket with water and placed it in the bathroom.

When he was up and dressed, I called the landlord's wife and told her, after the usual pleasantries, that we had a problem and told her what it was. She said she'd call her husband to tell him, but that he wouldn't be available until this evening. I asked her what we were supposed to do in the meantime since we couldn't use the toilet. She said she'd call me back after she called him. I was glad that they re-opened the public bathrooms around the corner near the shore walk. Those are always clean and well-kept.

An hour later, she called and said he'd rearranged his schedule and would be here at lunchtime, which was about another hour away. I'd consumed some water and a coffee, so had to go use the facilities around the corner and when I came back around on my way home, I saw a plumbing van parked outside. I assumed he was here. I went inside and smelled some after shave or cologne and knew he was here. Then a masked Bill appeared at the top of the stairs to say he was here. He had a helper. He was somehow under the impression that the problem involved not being able to effectively flush things down the drain. I explained what the actual issue was, which required both of them to go down to their van. After that it was fixed in short order. There are other problems in the bathroom, though, like the soft floor. He confirmed that he will have to remove the sink and toilet, take up the flooring, and see what needs to happen. He is backed up as far as work goes, because of the long lockdown we are emerging from, but he said he'll bring someone with him in a week or two and work on it for a day or two (depending on what he finds when he takes up the flooring) to get it fixed. We'll see how all that goes. If he really does this, we will probably have to go somewhere for a few days while this work is being done. Luckily, B&Bs and hotels are allowed to open up in a week. They're filling up fast, because this is a staycation destination for people in the republic and a holiday destination for people in Northern Ireland--some places are already booked up and taking reservations for next summer! But if the work is done soon, it might be early enough for us to beat the season. I guess we'll find out!

7 comments:

Vicki said...

Sorry you're having issues with the toilet! That's one of the worst kind of problems because of the amount of inconvenience that's involved, especially in the middle of the night.

Hopefully they will get it fixed soon and you won't have to go somewhere for a few days, although that sounds pretty nice to me right now. We do have a vacation coming up on the 9th though and I'm very excited about that.

Vicki said...

19th, not the 9th

Shari Burke said...

I'm looking forward to being able to go somewhere, too. Usually we go for a few days in May and somewhere else in October to avoid tourist season.
I hope you have a great time on your vacation!

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, boy, what a freaky guy you had outside there.
Toilet, bathroom. Last year I had to spend €4000 cause exactly that happened at my tennant´s place. Luckily she has a second toilet. but, boy, frustrating, these things! When we were in Perth.... we had a problem with the toilet also! Went to the office, told them, and whilst we had a very quick brekkie in the smelly cabin, someone knocked at the door to inform us they cut the water off.
Past tense. Why let us know before... Aussies... Glad I didn´t take a shower right then ;-)
We have one toilet and no public one nearby. Uh-oh!

Good luck with yours... if a little holiday comes along with it: Yay!

Shari Burke said...

Wow, that was a big bill! Good that your tenant had another bathroom! Fortunately, unlike your situation in Perth 😳😕 this was at least clean water from the tank spraying all over the place! It's one of those older toilets that have the exposed pipe between the tank and bowl.It needed a new seal ring thingy at the bowl end.

I cannot imagine what he will find when he takes up the flooring! A mess, I suspect. He bought the place without looking at it or having an inspection done.

Iris Flavia said...

Who buys a place without ... ? I´d never do that!
Well, the cabins in Perth are from the 60´s -70´s, "shit happens" 🤣
They fixed it quickly. But here we really would have a problem. Will have a talk with Ingo, good thing you posted this.

Shari Burke said...

We could have used a bucket to flush if the problem had gone on a while, but I was glad he came promptly.