Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Braid-n-Brooch

 I had a few very small scrap balls of yarn left from other projects. One was a lovely blue colour with some metallic bits left from a skein I'd found at a charity shop. I'd made a hat with most of it, which was a Christmas gift in 2019. I had some left after that, so I used it to weave some squares on my 4-inch square pin loom. I still had a wee bit left, so I set it aside. I also had some boucle that was a deep purple with small bits of other colours running through it. I'd gotten scraps and odd balls of this from a friend who no longer wanted it. I'd combined most of it with other scraps and odd balls to make a blanket wrap. I had a few bits left. I decided to see if I had enough of these yarns combines to make a kumihimo braid long enough to wear as a necklace. I did.

As I was braiding, I thought of a brooch I made a few years ago. It combines needle felting, crochet, tatting, embroidery, and embellishment. I had found a necklace full of metal beads and flowers in a charity shop and deconstructed it. I used a small flower on top of a needle tatted motif, both attached to a needle felted circle that is backed with a crochet lace motif and has basic chain stitches embroidered on it. The stem and leaves are needle felted and there's a brooch pin securely sewn to the back. 

I can wear this with the brooch pinned to the braid or not. I love it and I used up the last wee bits of that yarn. Yay!

12 comments:

JFM said...

What a talented crafter you are Shari...and thrifty, too!
This is beautiful

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan!

Vicki said...

It's beautiful!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Vicki!

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful!
I´m reading the book Sami sent me and as bookmark I certainly have yours :-)
It always makes me smile (your shamrocks still hang by my PC and try the best for luck, also).

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Iris--as always, hoping good luck comes your way!

Brenda said...

Gorgeous

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Brenda!

Lowcarb team member said...

That looks so nice :)

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan!

Rostrose said...

Your work looks really beautiful, dear Shari - very decorative!
All the best from Austria
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/02/ausflug-in-den-nationalpark-neusiedler.html

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Traude!