Thursday, July 21, 2016

Simple Crochet Lace Shawl Tutorial

Years ago I needed a prayer shawl. I wanted it to be done in a timely manner so that the recipient could have it quickly. I also needed to be able to use yarn I already had in the house, which meant scraps and odd balls. So I made up this pattern. It is simple, but lovely. It is very versatile--you can use whatever yarn you have and whatever hook gives you the kind of fabric you want. Through the years I have made this in all sorts of yarns, from thin thread to bulky yarn and everything in between, including eyelash and other novelty yarns. I have made this shawl using cotton, acrylic, wool, and mohair--it all looks great.

It works well for prayer/lovingkindness shawls because it is very repetitive so lends itself well to prayer or lovingkindness meditation while stitching--or just as a soothing motion for yourself while stitching!

The shawl is a triangle that grows more quickly width-wise than in height. It drapes beautifully. I have made many of these through the years for myself and others. I have a couple like this and I wear them a lot.

So here is how I make this shawl. Please note that I am using US crochet terms throughout. In every row, the turning chain 3 will count as the first double crochet of the row.

Chain 6.

Double crochet in the 4th chain from the hook.


Chain 3. Skip the next chain. Make 2 double crochets in the last chain.

Chain 3 and turn. This chain 3 will be the first double crochet of the next row, here and throughout. Make a double crochet in the first stitch of the row.

Chain 3. Skip the next double crochet and make a single crochet in the chain 3 space.

Chain 3. Skip the next double crochet and make 2 double crochets in the last stitch (which is the turning chain on the previous row)

Chain 3 and turn. Make a double crochet in the first stitch. Chain 3. Skip the next double crochet and make a single crochet in the next chain space. Chain 3. Skip the next single crochet and make a single crochet in the next chain space. Chain 3. Skip next double crochet and make 2 double crochets in the very last stitch of the row (which is your turning chain from the previous row).
Repeat this until the shawl is as wide as you would like it to be.

You will have two double crochets in the very first and the very last stitch of each row and chain 3 loops in between. The number of loops in a row corresponds to the number of rows--so there is 1 loop on row 1, 2 loops on row 2, etc.

I usually put some kind of border on this. Often I just do half double crochets or single crochets as a frame. Sometimes I do some shell stitches. You can do whatever you want. A solid border works well with the simple lace.

Here are some examples of shawls I have made through the years.





The close-up is of one made with thread. The ones on the line are done with odd balls and scraps, including novelty yarns. The one with the pink point is mohair. The orange one is made of abot 400 yards of a bulky weight yarn and was a yarn shop sample.

Happy crocheting!

No comments: