Today we headed off to Donegal town on the bus. We had library books to pick up and I wanted to go to the Animals in Need charity shop. I always like poking around in there and this week they're having a sale-- all denim jeans are €1. Denim is great for various stitching projects so I wanted to pick up a pair or two. Of course the first stop was the bookshelves and I was pretty happy to find a short story anthology, Great Irish Detective Stories and also an old copy of Three Men in a Boat, first published in 1889. I've never seen old Penguin books like this.
After the books, I went over to the sale rack and chose a couple pair of jeans.
I already have some denim in the 'regular' medium shade of blue, so I chose black jeans and the very light blue--almost white ones. I didn't want to go overboard so I stopped there. The pale jeans have holes in them and I have some ideas about how I will use those.
The black jeans have flared legs so a bit more fabric to work with than if they weren't so wide. On my way out the door I looked in the box of free stuff and picked up an oval metal platter that I plan to put plants on. I'm quite pleased with my charity shop score today. I'll have many hours of happy reading and stitching with this lot. It was €3 well spent. 😀
10 comments:
Great purchases at the charity shop Shari.
All the best Jan
It's always fun to poke around and see what's there. I've found some great books at charity shops 🙂
Living proof that with care three euros can go a long way! Happy stitching, Shari.
Thanks, David! I'm already having fun with the ideas bouncing around in my head :-)
This sounds like a fantastic day! Nothing's better than finding great books and that Penguin is remarkable! Can't wait to see what you do with those pants!
I'm enjoying the process of noticing the ideas percolating. Hopefully I'll be able to find my fabric scissors!
That was a super score. I kept my husband's old jeans just for the same reason. That Irish mystery books sounds great, and 3 men in a boat is a fun read. Have you read it before?
I haven't read it before. It was on my list of books I wanted to get to 'some day.' I assumed I'd request it from the library but I'm glad that now, whenever some day arrives, I can just pick it up and read it :-)
What an absolute steal for three euros! Finding that 1889 classic copy of Three Men in a Boat alongside a detective anthology is a massive win for a cozy afternoon of reading. Those light blue jeans with the pre-made holes will make for a brilliant creative stitching project, plus grabbing the flared black ones gives you so much extra material to play with. Score! That free plant platter at the finish line was the perfect bonus for a successful trip into Donegal town.
Worth all three euro :-)
Post a Comment