Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Make Yourself at Home

 As we continue to move through summer, a month past summer solstice and two to go until the autumnal equinox, I'm starting to feel like my usual antsy self--the one that always shows up at this time of year and really, really, REALLY wants autumn to start NOW. Our heat warnings have gone and we've had some lovely grey and breezy days, which always make me feel better. I'm eagerly awaiting the rain that is forecast to appear on Saturday and come back again at the beginning of next week. It's only Wednesday, so plenty of time for the forecast to change. I hope it doesn't but even if it does, I know the rain will return and I will savor it. Any day with little or none of that nasty sun is always welcome.

The plumber says the stabilizing piece for the shower is in his van and will be here 'shortly' to install it. Vague? Yeah, just a little. It could mean anything. In the meantime, we're just being extremely careful, which isn't a bad thing to be in the shower anyway. Still, I'd feel better when 'I'll do it shortly' becomes 'Glad that's sorted.'

Our furry friend Finn is with us for a few weeks and he wasted no time making himself at home.
Since this used to be his home, it's not surprising that he took over immediately 😉😏😃Wherever he is when he's with us, he's done it enough now that he's got a Shari and Bill routine that he just slides right into when his mum goes away.

I am surrounded here by flowers, trees, grass, and various plants. I adore this place. It brings me a feeling of peace, joy, and contentment whenever I am here so being able to live here again feels like a great gift. It is true that I've been slammed by my physical response to the grass and the flowers, but I wouldn't trade it. I was puzzled for a while because I'm used to my seasonal cycle of responses to the natural world. The spring/early summer stuff gets me in the sinuses and when that wanes and the grass starts coming on, I get a sore, scratchy, tickly throat. This year I was getting headaches, which is unusual. I used to get migraines, but that was a different issue and they were different kinds of headaches. Then one day I was outside in the evening and the fragrance from some of the flowers was wafting over me and the light dawned. I have a history of flower-induced, intense headaches. The headaches I was experiencing this year weren't that bad and aspirin took care of them, so as long as I can keep the flowers out of the house--at least the scented ones--I can manage things.  They are just so gorgeous. They take my breath away every time I go outside. I have no idea what most of them are--F is the flower gardener and I just enjoy what results from her work. Here's a very small sample of what's blooming now. There is so much more. 

F says these are honeymoon lilies--not sure if that means the pink ones too


I hope that, whatever you're doing today, there's plenty of time for you to do the things you enjoy. I've got some library books to start!


No comments: