Thursday, April 20, 2023

Yummy Date Bars

 Now that I have a more powerful food processor that can handle dates, I finally made these date bars that I've wanted to make for months. They are delicious!
I made a couple changes from the recipe, which is one of the great things about recipes like this--they can be customized to suit individual tastes. I used 1/2 cup peanut butter instead of 1/3 cup and I added some coconut. I might try it with cocoa and almonds next time--and there will definitely be a next time. 

I don't have the 8x8 baking dish called for, so I just used two rectangular plastic containers lined with parchment paper. When they were chilled, I cut them, folded the paper over top, and stacked both bundles in one container to save space. I suspect they won't be around that long.

These will be very handy to have in the fridge, since they're both healthy and tasty, so can be eaten for snacks or dessert, but also breakfast or lunch. They're a good grab-and-go sort of thing. I plan to have one for breakfast tomorrow along with some fruit. 

Enjoy your day!




6 comments:

Vicki said...

I don't remember ever eating a date, but I love all the other ingredients so I would probably love them.

Shari Burke said...

I don't think I ever had a date, either, until a few months ago. The mobile greengrocer has them and one day I decided to get a few to try them. I chopped a couple up and put them in my porridge with the other fruit--I was hooked and have been on a date kick ever since! They are almost caramel-like--very chewy. They're sweet so I don't use too many at one time but they're so yummy and full of a lot of good nutrients, too. because they're so sticky, they hold the mixture together. It's like crumbs when it comes out of the processor, but holds together when you press it into the pan/container.

Brenda said...

Daughter in law has a date tree. I don’t like them but the family does..yours do look good.

Shari Burke said...

Oooh, a date tree would be fun! If only they grew in my kind of climate! I'm grateful that veg man has them.

Lowcarb team member said...

I'm sure they were very yummy :)

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Yes, indeed!