Friday, February 24, 2023

Sinister Spring

Sinister Spring: Murder and Mystery from the Queen of Crime by Agatha Christie
Published by Harper Collins UK
ISBN 9780008470906

This is a delightful collection of Agatha Christie short stories that have some connection to the spring season. The book contains a good mix of stories featuring her recurring characters--Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, Tommy and Tuppence, Mr. Parker Pyne, Mr. Satterthwaite, and Harley Quin. If you're new to Agatha Christie, this would be an excellent introduction to her work. If you've been reading Christie for years, like I have (about half a century now!), it's like a lovely visit with old friends and a couple of surprises thrown in. This collection is the latest in the seasonal series, all of which are wonderful and well worth reading. Every time I sit down with a Christie I know I am going to have a happy reading experience and this book was no exception. It did not disappoint and I highly recommend it.

Stories included:
The Market Basing Mystery
The Case of the Missing Lady
The Herb of Death
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Swan Song
Miss Marple Tells a Story
Have You Got Everything You Want?
The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan
Ingots of Gold
The Soul of the Croupier
The Girl in the Train
Greenshaw’s Folly

I received a copy of the e-book in exchange for a fair review. I thank NetGalley and Harper Collins UK.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

I haven't read a lot of her books, I think I'll look for a copy of this. I think I'd enjoy this book.

Shari Burke said...

I do love her :-) There are a couple other seasonal collections, too--Midwinter Murder and Midsummer Mysteries, which I also loved, so when I saw the spring one, I was pleased when it showed up on my NetGalley shelf!

Lowcarb team member said...

This sounds good.

Eddie and I were only talking about Agatha Christie the other day and how popular her books are.
In made me go on her official site:
"Outsold only by the Bible and Shakespeare, Agatha Christie is the best-selling novelist of all time. She is best known for her 66 detective novels and 14 short story collections, as well as the world’s longest-running play – The Mousetrap."
https://www.agathachristie.com/

Happy reading, and Happy weekend.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

I love how her work lives on and continues to inspire people! One day in a charity shop, Bill spotted a book based on her notebooks--you can bet I snapped that up! Miss Marple is my favourite!