Saturday, April 23, 2022

Wow!

 I finished this book this afternoon:

How High We Go in the Dark by Sequoia Nagamatsu. Wow! I was sorry to come to the end. As I read, I sometimes got goosebumps and sometimes had that weird mind-blown feeling in my head. It was sad, funny, hopeful, and thought-provoking. I don't want to say much more about it, because that would involve spoilers and for me, part of the joy of reading this book was not knowing where the author was taking me next. I will post the blurb from inside the front cover which gives a sense of the book without giving too much away.



The book, which was written before the current pandemic, can be read as a collection of linked short stories, with some characters from earlier chapters reappearing later on. This is a book that will stay with me for a long time and one that I highly recommend!

6 comments:

Vicki said...

Wow! That sure sounds different!

Shari Burke said...

It is a weird and wonderful book :-)

Brenda said...

Sounds different...with this Covid, sounds real...enjoy the blog...

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Brenda :-) It was the plague aspect that I learned about when I first read about the book and that's why I wanted to read it.

My name is Erika. said...

I've read about this book. It looks really interesting and I'm glad you wrote about it Shari.

Shari Burke said...

It wasn't what I thought it would be--I think I was expecting it to be more dystopian--but it was so much more and I'm really glad I read it! :-)