Sunday, March 7, 2021

When in Doubt, Sprout!

 We've not been able to get radishes in Aldi for months. I suppose they'll be returning fairly soon as the season rolls around again, but in the meantime, I was nudged into finally attempting to sprout. I've been thinking vaguely about trying this for years, ever since I went to a talk about sprouts when we were still in the US. I just never did it. But a few weeks ago, when we were getting an order together at Evergreen.ie, a shop in Galway where we buy some food as well as shampoo bars and all natural laundry detergent and washing up liquid, I decided to add sprouting seeds to the cart. They don't have a huge selection, but they had radish and something called 'Gourmet Mix.' I got some of both. I skipped the sprouting jars, which were simply glass jars with perforated lids. I had glass jars from peanut butter with wide mouths and lids that I could perforate with a small corkscrew, so I use those. 

I'm on my second batch of both kinds of sprouts now and while I find the Gourmet Mix underwhelming and won't buy it again, we both love the radish sprouts! 
It's not a great picture and they don't look so appealing, but they taste great! It's nice to have the crunch, the tiny leaves, and fresh peppery taste in various things. I've added them to salads, wraps, and on top of some Thai red curry. I've even eaten some on their own. 

If you had told me a couple of decades ago that I'd be getting into sprouts, I would have said that was madness. I had a thing about sprouts from childhood, when my mother was sprouting mung beans and piling them on top of our dinner salads every night. Oh how I loathed them! I would put some in my mouth and take a swig of juice to try to swallow them without chewing or tasting them. Mung beans for sprouting were available at Evergreen, but I passed them by and will continue to do so. However, I will expand into other kinds of sprouts beyond radish. We'll have to look elsewhere for a wider variety, but we definitely want to try broccoli sprouts. From there, we'll see what else seems worth experimenting with. I suspect we'll find some we love and some we don't, but it will be fun to see what happens. 😊 Any recommendations?

11 comments:

JFM said...

Shari, you and Bill are amazing!
You both know so much and have such interesting lives!
You two are the perfect couple and work together as a team.
Hope you find more sprouts!

Have a great day!!!

Shari Burke said...

Thank you, Jan! You're very kind!

We do make a great team, which we're both grateful for :-)

We'll be on the hunt for more sprouting seeds soon. A couple places we looked at a few weeks ago were out of stock on broccoli, possibly due to Brexit. There were shipping delays. But now there are more shipping options that bypass the UK and the accompanying hassles altogether, so stock should be replenished soon.

I hope you're having a great day, too!

Vicki said...

I don't remember ever trying sprouts but I love broccoli so may give them and maybe a few other kinds a try. I don't like them so not sure if I would like the sprouts if they taste anything like a radish.

Now I'm wanting some curry, which I love!

Shari Burke said...

Yeah, if you don't like radishes, you may well not like the sprouts, either. I hated radishes as a kid, but in middle age, I started to like them. Same with stuff like avocados and cilantro--go figure!

Curries are big here :-) You can even get curry chips (french fries) in takeaways and chippies. I have never tried this--I think it's more like an Indian curry than Thai.

Lowcarb team member said...

So pleased you enjoyed them.
You may find this article an interesting read;
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/raw-sprouts

It's almost Monday as I type this, so have a good new week.

All the best Jan

NanaDiana said...

I would never have thought to try radish sprouts. I hate those mung sprouts with a passion. lol. I can't take much spice in my diet so I would have to be wary of overdoing it with radishes.
Glad you are enjoying them. Happy upcoming week, Shari-Hugs- Diana

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmmm, yum! I´ve never heard of broccoli sprouts, googled it and they do look like cress, recon it´s the same?
I had to laugh about your childhood-memories, sorry, it is funny!

Shari Burke said...

Thanks, Jan--that was very informative!

Diana--oh, I know--those mung beans :-( I'll have to do more investigation about what other sorts of sprouting seeds are available. I'm sure there will be others to try besides broccoli.

Iris--I don't know--I've never had cress, so not sure how the taste would differ. The broccoli is just the tiny sprouts of a broccoli seed. From what the health providers said in the talk I went to years ago and the article Jan posted in her comment, the nutrition is very concentrated, among other health benefits. I like the taste and the crunch, myself and the nutrition is a good bonus! But anyone on a med like warfarin would have to have careful with some of the seeds because of the Vitamin K.

And you're right--the dreaded mung bean memory is funny :-)

Joy said...

I used to buy the usual sprouts for home-made 'crescent sandwiches' and all that that people used to get, but they'd make my tonsils swell-up. Since we have some similar sensitivities I wonder if you ever had something similar reaction-wise like that, but not with the ones you do yourself? (Now they put those package warnings that pregnant and immunological patients shouldn't eat them, but I could well-imagine home-made might be more safe?)

I remember liking the radish ones, I've always liked things with a bit of spice to it. I love Thai Green Curry, hot salsa, and things like that on just about any dish.

I'd 'make my own' as well with the jars, might as well. =) How big are you letting them get before you eat them? If they got bigger you could maybe use in stir fry or similar?

Shari Burke said...

I haven't had any issues with any of them so far (I had my tonsils out when I was very small).The radish are my favourite, although I like all of them. I have some mustard growing now. I 'harvest' them when they are big enough--the radish fills the jar, but the stuff called gourmet mix and the spicy salad mix aren't so bulky. I use them mostly in salads and sandwiches, but have also mixed some into Thai red curry and soup. Nice flavour and crunch :-)

I think I did read that the ones in the store are more prone to e-coli and stuff like that.

Joy said...

Oh I've had my tonsils out as well, that's why it was a concern lol.

That sounds promising, once I'm settled maybe I'll join you on the sprouts journey.