Thursday, September 24, 2026

Blind Corners by Stefania Lucchetti

 Blind Corners by Stefania Lucchetti
published on September 25, 2026 by Antepost
ISBN 9791282522106
Cover art: Portrait by Italian painter Francesca Draetta (2026
In her introduction to this powerful poetry collection, Stefania Lucchetti writes that she's interested in 'the spaces in between.' This collection shows readers what she means by this. The title is apt because in each poem, I got the sense of a woman turning corners in her life and in so doing, discovering things that were so close and yet unseen until that moment. Of course she had to be ready to go around those blind corners and be open to what she discovered there. So many people prefer to stay where they're comfortable, even if it's painful and this is a part of the poems too. Each one is a journey that explores experiences of love and loss, denial and self-awareness, fear and courage, submission and agency, self-doubt and self-confidence, and more. I got goosebumps several times when reading these poems and I re-read many of them. This is a book that can be read over and over, providing new insights and food for thought on each reading. I loved it.

Also in the introduction, Lucchetti explains that she writes in both Italian and English, but one is not a translation of the other. The words and the poems they create come to her in both languages, almost simultaneously, she writes. I find this fascinating. I have no knowledge of Italian, but I'm sure that for people who are bilingual in that language and English will find even more to engage with when reading this book. This is the first work by this writer that I've read and it won't be the last. I will now seek out more. I highly recommend this poetry collection. Some of these poems will stay with me for a long time and I will be reading it again. 

No comments: