I'm back to making socks. I took a little break while Finn was with us because it's awkward working with double points while there's a dog on my lap. He's gone home now, but comes over to visit when he feels like it. And when I go over to his house, he gives me such an enthusiastic greeting which makes me smile every time. There's nothing quite like experiencing the greeting of a dog that's happy to see you. πHe'll be back with us in about 5 weeks, but I'll be done with socks for a while by then. The current pair in progress requires a game of yarn chicken.
The larger ball of royal blue yarn isn't sock yarn, but it's a superwash wool of the same thickness. I had a large cone of this at one time and still have a decent amount left. It comes in handy to stretch the sock yarn because I can use it for the cuffs, switching to sock yarn when I start the heel flap and using that for the rest of the foot. The sock yarn has nylon for better wear which is important for the parts that will be inside shoes and be walked on. The skein on the left is meant to be enough for one sock, from cuff to toe. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get two socks out of it by using the royal blue for the cuff and the variegated sock yarn scrap (the small ball in the photo) for the toes. We'll see how it goes. I've just picked up the gusset stitches and will be starting the decreases shortly. If I don't have enough of the denim-ish blue sock yarn to complete the second sock up to the toe, I will find some scraps of other sock yarn and finish with that. Bill isn't bothered by scrappy socks and they'll be inside his boots anyway. The bracket was put on the shower a little over a week ago and it works well--no more wobbling. My friend began speaking to Plumber Guy about this job near the end of April so by the time it was completely done, it was over 3 months later. She still can't believe it's actually finished. She apparently sent numerous 'friendly reminders' to him while she was away.
We've continued to avoid the extreme heat that other places in Europe are getting. Today it's cool and rainy.
Grass pollen levels are decreasing now--grateful for that. I'm starting to come out of my summer fog a bit. Still quite tired, but that's normal for the time of year. I'm quite enjoying the earlier onset of darkness. I usually drag myself through the days and perk up at night--also normal for me.
My friend brought me back 6 balls of alpaca/silk yarn which she found at Boston Goodwill. It's so, so soft. I'm thinking about what to make with it and am leaning towards a cowl because it seems like a yarn that would be so cozy against the neck and face. That'll be something to work on after I'm done with the socks. π£π
I hope August is treating you well!

10 comments:
Goodness me I nearly fainted!!! The plumbing job is actually finished!!!
Yahoo and Yippee :)
This calls for a celebratory cup of tea, or perhaps a glass of wine :)
Finn is just so adorable.
Enjoy your knitting.
All the best Jan
"There's nothing quite like experiencing the greeting of a dog that's happy to see you." I agree 100%
It's hard to believe it's actually done, Jan. We all had our doubts π
Brings a smile every time, Vicki, as you know well π
Shari, I think you should petition the Irish parliament to have a day declared, “Complete the Plumbing Day.” After all it has all the elements of a titanic struggle, and the glory of victory.” Perhaps others will relate to it. A rusty faucet, dripping steadily might become a national symbol, with as much reverence accorded to it as the cenotaph. People in scrappy socks will even attend appropriate ceremonies. I am flushed with vicarious satisfaction so let me shower you with congratulations. David
I think the plumbing completion festivities would be very well attended, David! From what I've heard, there are many people who wait for a very long time to get any work done. All would be welcome, scrappy socks or not ;-)
Hurrah for the shower being done!!!!!! And isn't a greeting by a dog happy to see you the best greeting? You have a true blue friend in Finn. And those socks are going to be great. I love how you have two yarns too, they will be quite stylish with the blocked design. And as you said, the foot will wear well. A cowl sounds like a fun future project too. I've started thinking of knitting again. Our weather has turned September-like, and though it may not last, it has me ready to knit. Hope you are enjoying your shower and having a great month so far.
Finn is a great little guy. We've always had larger dogs so it's been interesting to care for him and before him, his predecessor, Fergus the Westie. Our big dogs used to be exuberant too. I still have a scar from a day when I came home and our 150 pound sled dog was jumping up to say hello and scratched my arm. He tried to be a lap dog on Bill sometimes, which was pretty comical :-) We're having weather that's almost autumnal, but I remind myself that there's always another burst of summer weather that arrives in September or even October. I have a project ready to start on the autumnal equinox. Finn will be back with us by then so it won't involve double points--LOL
I am so happy that shower is fully complete! What a relief. And sweet Finn. My only sock knitting experience ended with one sock done and the other almost done -- before I lost the pattern. A friend finished it up for me. I should try again but the needles are so small and the eyes and fingers don't quite work the way they used to! I do think I'll make another cowl though. Winter is coming. Your new yarn will be perfect!
Cowls are great projects to make and to wear! So many different ways to make them. I'm leaning towards crochet for this one, but I haven't made a final decision yet. I'm knitting these socks but I've experimented a lot through the years and have developed a method for making crocheted socks that I love. They're slightly thicker, very comfortable, and use less yarn so they're especially great for using leftovers :-)
Post a Comment