Sunday, August 2, 2020

July Books:Classics (Short Stories, Plays, and a Novel)

I've really been drawn to older fiction lately. For some reason, newer work is not floating my boat at the moment. Happily, there is plenty of classic literature available. Here are the classic works I read last month:

The Wharton Gothics: Stories of the Unnatural and Supernatural by Edith Wharton (audiobook read by Gabrielle de Cuir)
This is a short story collection that contains a collection of Wharton’s short fiction. Some of the stories were fairly long. The reader was good. It was a new addition to the e-audiobook section of the library in July.


The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope
This is Trollope’s longest novel, coming in at 100 chapters and, at least in the Wordsworth Classics edition I have, over 800 pages. There is a lot going on in this book. It was originally published in book form in 1875, after being serialised. It’s a satirical novel, which serves as a commentary on the society of the time, especially the financial scandals and rip-offs that were common (some things never change). At the centre of the book is Augustus Melmotte, a conman who appears to be wealthy and who has people fawning over him as a result (to their own detriment), in spite of his shady background, lies, scams, and general lack of trustworthiness. He reminded me in many ways of the current US president. In addition to the machinations and continued scams of Melmotte, there are others who move in and out of his orbit with their own storylines. There are people with titles and no money looking to marry money, families working their ways through various problems, class issues, and more. Throughout the books, we move back and forth between ‘the City’ with the business dealings, rural areas in which a different way of life goes on, and other parts of London where people live and spend time at their club.

I loved this book and at no time did I wish it was shorter or that any parts of the story were not included. As the book went back and forth between several storylines, I would momentarily wish that the one I;d been reading would continue so I could find out what happens, but then I would quickly get back involved with the storyline at hand and happily read on. It was definitely worth the time investment. Last month I read Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens and I must say that I am enjoying reading these long multi-plot novels with oodles of characters and I am a bit sad when I get to the end of the books. I sometimes imagine what it must've been like to read these as they were serialised, waiting for the next instalment and having all aspects of the plot stretched out over a couple of years. I'm glad I can just pick up the books when I want.

Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde (audio play performed by LA Theater Works)
This 1895 play pokes fun at London society and politicians. What happens when an MP with a reputation for honesty and integrity learns that a secret he thought safe could soon be revealed? I enjoyed this play a lot—I laughed out loud more than once.

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (audio play performed by LA Theater Works)
Another Wilde play that pokes fun at the silly ideas of the British society of the time.

Ivanov by Anton Chekhov
This is definitely not a cheerful play, involving as it does a wife dying of tuberculosis, a jerk of a husband (the Ivanov of the title), a bunch of people who are bored out of their minds, alcohol abuse, greed, and stupidity. The end is a bit of a relief.

The Seagull by Anton Chekhov
This is a play in which the themes of love, relationships, social status, money, and the nature of art are addressed.

This is the last part of my July book list. As always, I have plenty of good stuff to read in August. I hope the same is true for you!

10 comments:

Vicki said...

I haven't read any of these. The Importance of Being Earnest might be going on my list.

Shari Burke said...

It's total farce, but sometimes a good laugh is exactly the right thing :-)

Mary said...

I've read most of Edith Wharton's books. She had ties to the area of New York State that I live in, which was the reason I originally started to read her, but kept it up because I liked what she wrote.

I haven't read the book The Way We Live Now, but I did watch the movie. It starred David Suchet (of Poirot). It is on DVD. Its really a three or four part British mini-series. I enjoyed it very much. The woman who played the daughter was very funny and played the part well.

Shari Burke said...

I saw that mini-series, too, Mary, some years ago. It was good! As I was reading the book, I was picturing Suchet as Melmotte in my mind :-)

I've read a few of Wharton's books--probably more of her short stories. I read a bio of year some years ago now, which was fascinating.

Joy said...



This particular list you got from the library or? I can't remember the last time I saw plays in book form listed anywhere.

Shari Burke said...

Hey Joy--Wharton and Wilde came from the e-audiobook section of the library website, Chekhov is in book form, found at a charity shop a while back, and Trollope is my book, ordered from either ebay or Book Depository. I think all are also available on Project Gutenberg, although the Wharton stories would be spread out in various collections.

Joy said...

Oh, wow ok thank you! I somehow didn't think they were old enough to be in GP lol so much of what i wind up seeing there predates even my grandmother's day... I'm not the best with remembering dates and things like when stuff came out. I hope you have a great weekend! Anything on the hook?

Lowcarb team member said...

You certainly did well with your July reading.
I'm sure you will do the same during August.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Yes, Jan--the Aust list is growing :-) Hope it's not too hot there!

Nothing specifically on the hook, Joy, but a hook is involved with one project. I've got a kumihimo braid on the disk--been playing with novelty yarns a friend gave me. There is something quite meditative in doing the moves over and over again and watching the different colour patterns and textures emerge. I have a pair of socks on the knitting needles (the cuffs were crocheted)--sock yarn and mohair held together--while I dream of the weather that will be right to wear such socks :-) And I have been playing with my pin loom. Bill surprised me with a book the other day, and I am smitten with a square in there which I adapted to work with my loom. Fun to use scraps and play with the colour. since I finish each square with a crocheted slip stitch border (and I will crochet the squares together) there is a hook involved! I'm never too far away from my crochet hooks, no matter what I am doing :-)

Enjoy the weekend!

Joy said...


Oh great! It's so fun to have several projects going at once so you can pick up whatever one suits you in the moment. Especially during this time of year where it's more meditative for some of us to have something to 'get us through' the 'bad weather' ;). Sometimes the heat/humidity for some of us is fairly insufferable. I can't remember how close you are to the water this time - other times it seems like you were 'right off the water', so you'd have the good breeze and positive ions to help but creativity can definitely get us through a lot of things. I was crocheting through some pain at the Dr's office the other day lol. (I can't stand to sit there for hours and I'd already had a full day of it and was planning to up and leave and that's all that kept me there.) I think when you have knowledge of multiple types of handwork it really enhances the items because you can really be so much more creative with how it turns out. This loom project will be like the scarf you did with the multiple squares? I really hope you post about these as you finish them! =)