Thursday, May 14, 2020

Song of the Season

The first lines of this poem popped into my head yesterday and hung around in there until I worked out the rest of it.

Song of the Season

Spring-summer and I,
we just don’t get along
as the nights get short
and the days get long.

The sun comes out 
and I overheat
while wishing the rain
would come down in sheets.

The flowers, they bloom
and then clog my head
while my lungs start 
to feel like they’re filled up with lead.

The grass starts to grow
and my throat starts to burn,
then my plummeting mood
becomes cause for concern.

I miss seeing bare branches 
against a grey sky,
my depression returns
and sometimes I cry.

When solstice arrives 
and folks welcome the light
the great joy for me’s in
the lengthening night.

So spring-summer and I
are surely not friends
and I get less depressed
as we get near the end.

When the days grow short 
and the nights grow long
I’m back in the seasons
to which I belong.

Give me the dark,
the rain, and the cold--
Autumn and winter
don’t ever get old.

You know what they say--
that all things must pass,
but to me spring and summer
are pains in the ass!

13-14 May 2020



5 comments:

Vicki said...

I'm picky when it comes to poems, but this is in the "I love it" list. I don't have allergies but my daughter and her kids do, so I can relate to it. Also, the last line made me laugh. And as you know, laughter is the best medicine.

Thank you for sharing it with us! You are very talented!

Shari Burke said...

Thank you, Vicki! Hope your daughter and grandkids don't have too bad a time of it this season.

Lowcarb team member said...

To all those who suffer any allergy I sympathise, but I still had to chuckle at the last line!
My two favourite seasons are Spring and Autumn.

All the best Jan

JFM said...

I absolutely adore this!!!
You summed up perfectly how I feel, too.
I loved summer as a kid but not so much now.

Great poem!!!

Shari Burke said...

Thank you, Jan and Jan! I've always been a fan of autumn and winter, but I never had seasonal allergies in spring and summer until I was in my early 40s. Weird.