Saturday, January 4, 2020

Jump

It's that time of year again, when many people are choosing their personal word for the new year. Today, as I was reading about someone's choice, the word 'jump' popped into my head. I know why that's the word that came up--it's not a new thing for me. It comes from a few lines in a talk I listened to, probably over 25 years ago now. I have reminded myself of it so many times over the years.

Five frogs are sitting on a log. One decides to jump. How many frogs are left? The answer, of course, is five, because deciding to jump is not jumping.

I'm really, really good at deciding to jump. In spite of the occasional fallow period, I usually have a head filled with ideas. And I often do jump. But sometimes, with certain things, my anxiety and overthinking keep me stuck on that log, paralysed. Oddly enough, when it comes to big life choices, I am usually saying, 'Let's see what happens.' Then off I go. I get stuck on smaller things, that, if I tried and failed, would have few repercussions, if any, and not very serious ones at that. I might be disappointed or maybe a little embarrassed, but so what? It's not like I haven't experienced those things before. So maybe, in 2020 I need to try to jump off that log once in a while and see what happens. It might be painful and it might be great, but either way, each jump will provide some opportunities to learn and grow. Whether you choose a word for the year or not, I wish you the same opportunities 😀

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Jump is a great word! I need to jump more often!

Shari Burke said...

It can be scary, but it's good to jump sometimes :-) I need to keep reminding myself of that!

Laurie Graves said...

Although if a frog decides to jump, you can be pretty sure a jump will be forthcoming.;) For humans, the decision is not always easy but as David Lee Roth so memorably sang, "Go ahead and jump!"