Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Meandering Around Ballina

We spent a good part of the afternoon at art exhibitions, one in an upstairs room at the library and one in a large space at the civic building. We enjoyed them both a lot, even though the work itself was extremely different from one venue to the next. The art at the Civic Building was all by one artist and consisted of many portraits and some landscapes. The library exhibition consisted of art by a group of recent graduates and contained a lot of more abstract work. I found much to like in the former, but really, I connected more with the work in the second.

When we were looking for the art in the library, we went up the wrong staircase at first. It wasn't the art we were looking for, but I thought this piece, which sits there all the time, was interesting. From where I was standing, I could only see the back.
I forgot to stop on the stairs to see if I could get a picture of the front, but when we got to the place we were looking for, I was able to see it from the front.
 When we were not in overheated rooms looking at art, we were wandering around in the fresh air. We sat on a bench on the bridge over the River Moy and looked at the salmon weir and listened to the roar of the water while we ate.
We found one of the new pieces of street art, created as part of the Fringe Festival'
We saw some Halloween decorations in shop windows.
 We'd seen Mayoman Frank last year when we were here and I was happy to see him again, greeting people on the corner outside the Ballina Heritage Costume Centre.
I thought this sign was funny.
On the way back to the flat, I saw this plant, which is interesting.
It's been a nice day. We enjoyed the art and our wander around town. Now I'm going to make some supper. I hope it's a nice day in your part of the world today, too.


3 comments:

Brenda said...

Sounds lovely. Hope there are good places to eat. I don't know why I never thought it could be Halloween in other countries. Not one of my favs but... You have a lovely place to stay!

Vicki said...

Looks like a very interesting town with lots to see and do. Love the photos!

Shari Burke said...

It was a fun few days! We're home now. I get more excited about autumn in general than Halloween, so seeing the decorations makes me happy because it's an autumn thing :-) Halloween originated in Ireland, sort of--it's based on Samhain (pronounced sow-en). The first year we lived here, I was listening to a radio documentary about Irish Halloween customs and an elder commented, 'We gave Halloween to the Americans and they sold it back to us.' From what I heard, it's not what it used to be, but just in the few years we've been here, we've seen it become more of a 'thing.'