Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Getting Ready for Easter Starting in December

Yup, the first bit of Easter candy appeared in our local shop a couple of days after Christmas and has increased steadily since. Since there is still more than a month until this day finally arrives, I can only assume I will see more bunnies and eggs in the coming weeks.

When we first arrived in Ireland, it was a few weeks before Easter and I was amazed then at the eggs, which come in all sizes, from small to gigantic. I think the gigantic ones are hollow and have other candy and possibly small toys, but I don't know. In the past, I've seen the sorts of eggs one would expect--Oreo, Twix, and others. Today I saw some that I haven't seen before. It would appear that the Lily O'Brien company has a fairly extensive line of Easter chocolate.
 i'd rather not spend €25 on this--i could get a lot of regular chocolate for €25!
in case you want to go with ugly eggs

i prefer my caramel unsalted
I look at all of these and cringe at the amount of packaging. All that plastic will have to go somewhere. Bill was telling me this morning about a whale that starved to death because it had ingested 40kg of plastic.

This display was right by the door, so once I got past the shelves of over-packaged chocolate, we went and got our groceries, then went outside, loaded our backpacks, and headed home in the fog and mist.
We were walking into the breeze, which was nice, because we were both quite warm by then. Before we went to pick up groceries, we walked to the other end of town to recycle tins and a couple of jars. After the holiday weekend, the bins were pretty full, but we had enough room to stick our few things in there. We did our errands and had a pleasant 2 1/2 mile walk in the process.

I hope your day is pleasant, too!




1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

I have always loved the smell of a chocolate shop. It sounds like you had a great little jaunt around town.
We have our recycles picked up every other week and our garbage every week. We are such a wasteful country with all of our packaging, et.
I hope you have a great week, Shari. Hugs- Diaan