Thursday, July 19, 2018

A Few Bits

I wanted a cord for a pendant I have, so the other day I grabbed a scrap ball of size 10 crochet thread in a variegated purple colour and a 1.5 mm steel crochet hook and started on a Romanian cord, which I finished off yesterday.
 I am quite smitten with these cords, whether done in thicker yarn or thinner thread.

The other day, I was scrolling through a knitting e-magazine that I got through the library website. This particular publication has a regular yarn review feature. As part of that, they always have a page that has pictures of a small motif made with each of the yarns under review, as well as instructions for making the motif. In this issue, it was a butterfly, which I quite liked, so I got a small scrap ball of cotton yarn and some 4.5 mm knitting needles and made one.
It's cute and simple and can be done with any yarn. I'll probably make some more--maybe try with thread and some really small needles one day when I'm feeling particularly nimble in the fingers.

Today on our walk, I spotted a patch of fireweed I'd not noticed before. I love fireweed. We used to have lots of it in our yard in the woods when we lived in Fairbanks. I was told to watch it blooming from the bottom up and when it gets to the top, summer is over. I eagerly look to see where the blossoms are whenever I see some. This vacant lot was so striking with the stone wall, the fireweed, and the yellow flowers in front, all against the dark green backdrop.


I hope that you come across some bright, beautiful surprises as you go through this day.

No comments: