Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Creaky

Feeling a little creaky tonight. We had planned to leave today for Killybegs with another load, but the plans changed when Bill spoke to the landlord yesterday. He asked if we could allow someone to come in and look at the place on Friday. This person may be willing to move in as soon as we move out and that would be great for the landlord, so we are doing what we can to facilitate that. I'd planned to leave the major cleaning to the end, but I did it today instead. I washed the windows and was surprised at how well the outside of the bedroom windows came out. I had to channel my inner contortionist while standing on a chair, but I got the crud off. While I was up on the chair with the curtain rod down, we took off the curtains we had bought (at a charity shop) for the room and put back the ones that were there when we arrived. These do not reach across the entire window, which isn't great, but I didn't want the guy to think he was getting the other curtains and then find them gone if/when he moves in! I think I mentioned in a previous post that there are no duvets up there so we will need blankets. I plan to make a blanket out of the curtains, which have an attached lining, too. One seam should do it. I could embellish too. I am also working on an afghan for a bed--just making it up as I go along.

I did a major vacuuming job, which included moving furniture and going along all the baseboards, while bent double. Not a fun position for the back! I will probably have to do another quick vacuum before we go, but hope this is the end of furniture moving!

I did a load of laundry last night and hung it on the rack until this morning when I got it out on the line in the bright sunshine.

We packed Bill's suitcase and rearranged the bags I am taking.

I cooked some stuff this morning that we can eat for supper and I can bring for lunch on the road tomorrow. We ate some more stuff that came out of the freezer today.

We have between 2 and 2 1/2 weeks left until we get up there for good. We will do our trip this week, one next week, and then the last one sometime during the week after the May bank holiday. Thankfully we have arranged it so that we have a day in between arriving and departing. We did a back to back last week and it was too much. For a while we thought we were going to have to do it again next week--there may be a transport worker strike on the Friday, so we need to avoid that day. I was already thinking we shouldn't travel that day because it is the day before the bank holiday weekend. Guess that's why they chose it for their strike! I'd completely forgotten that Bill had a blood test scheduled on Tuesday though! His INR was slightly high last test--probably due to the meds he is taking for the shingles pain--and the doc said to go back in 3 weeks instead of the usual 4. Between the strike and the blood test, we were looking at going on Wednesday, dumping a load, and coming back Thursday, but Bill called and asked the GP if he could go in Monday instead of Tuesday. No problem. Yay! Now we can leave on Tuesday morning and be back before the holiday weekend. I would rather just stay up there, but we will need to come back for another load, I think. With Bill not being up to par, we are having to take smaller loads each trip than we otherwise would. We are taking a couple of rolling suitcases this time. They will slow us down a bit but since we have time between bus connections and do not have to meet anyone when we get there, that's OK. Bill was unsuccessful in his attempts to get a "man with a van" quote and we really don't have time to search for someone and hope they call back. By the time we are done, we will have made 5 round trips and one more trip up there. I wonder what it will be like to have a week without a trip from Ballinrobe to Killybegs and back again! When we get to that point I am going to plan a day where I get up whenever I want, meander through the day with cups of coffee and tea, simple food, books, and yarn. Maybe a nap, too!

No comments: