Friday, March 9, 2018

The Postman Knocked Once

This morning I heard the postman putting something through the mail slot and then I heard the thunk of a parcel hitting the floor. Then came the knock at the door. Bill went to answer and came back in with the book I was expecting, which would not fit through the slot, and a surprise, which is the one that hit the floor.

I'd never heard of this book, but Bill saw it somewhere and ordered it.
What a fun book! It's a collection of photos taken between the 1860s to the 1960s. The focal point of all of them is people knitting, but there is a lot to look at in the background of each photo. There are some quotes about knitting sprinkled throughout the book, too. This was definitely a happy surprise!

The book I was expecting from Kenny's in Galway (free shipping worldwide) was this one:
I'd requested it from the library and it came last week. I started it and was taking copious notes before I was past the second page. Bill commented that if I was taking that many notes right from the start then it was probably a book worth having and keeping. Based on what I'd already read, I agreed, so went to the Kenny's website. I've read articles about this book in various media outlets--it was published here last year, but is newly published in the US, I think. I suspect this will be one that gets marked up a fair bit.

We have plenty of room for these new additions to the book collection, as we took a load of books to the charity shop this afternoon. I packed our backpack on wheels and pulled them down the street so I would not have to carry the heavy load. Then we stopped at the library and picked up a pile of requests that had come in. On our way out, I was surprised to see the latest book in one of the knitting cosy mystery series I used to read, so I brought that home, too--plenty of bookish surprises today!


1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

I love a book lover. I wish I had more time to read but that hasn't happened lately. I always have at least 2 books going at all time....a "car book" and a "bedside book". I often read blogs that recommend books and have seldom been disappointed by other bloggers' reviews on books they like.

Hope you have a wonderful, peaceful weekend. xo Diana