Saturday, October 7, 2017

Needle Felting: Motifs and Toes

This morning as I was scrolling through my Facebook feed, I saw some great needle felting. This put me in the mood to do some repetitive stabbing of my own, so I went upstairs and got my box of supplies.

I decided to make a couple of festive seasonal motifs to hang in the front window.
I was messing around with the smile and as I was shaping it, it started to remind me of one of the Grinch's smiles after he becomes a reformed Grinch. I left it like that. I quite enjoy the way things happen in needle felting as things change shape and get a little wonky as I keep on stabbing.

While I was upstairs, I grabbed a pair of socks that I knew had holes in the toes that needed repair.
I pulled out another pair that I knew had holes in the heel, but when I got back downstairs and prepared to fix them, I discovered that I'd already done that pair, so I just had to do the toes today.
At first I was matching the roving to the yarn and then it dawned on me that I could use the odd bits that I pull off of the foam. As I repeatedly stab the roving, small bits of it get stuck to the foam and I periodically pull this off. It's just a ball of fluff, made up of whatever colours I have used. I can't bring myself to just throw it away, so I am glad to have the perfect use for them. These will either be worn as bed socks or inside hiking boots, so it doesn't matter what colour the repair is. To be honest though, even if these toes were going to show, I think I'd do this anyway. I like the idea that the repair is visible. As I keep on repairing them, the socks will take on an abstract look. 👣😊

Wherever you are today, I hope the day is a good one.




No comments: