Thursday, November 2, 2017

Bookish October 2

Yesterday I posted the first part of my October book list. Today I post the middle section. I also made a personal goal for myself for this month to read at least 7 books that I can bring to the wee free library afterwards. After looking at the library pile here and the list on the website, I think that's doable. Guess I'll see. I have one finished and ready to go, so 6 more to go.

A Death in the Dales by Frances Brody
This is one of the cosy mysteries Bill brought home for me a few months ago when he went into one of the pop-up charity shops that appear in town. It’s a series detective and there are several books before this one. I have not requested any of the others, but I enjoyed this one, so I might in future! The detective is Kate Shackleton and the stories take place in 1920s Britain. The lingering effects of WWI figure throughout the story. Sometimes these sorts of novels can be pretty predictable, even if they are enjoyable to read. One storyline in particular in this book ended in a way I did not expect.

The Maid’s Tale by Kathleen Ferguson
This is a novel that won the Irish Literature Prize for Fiction in 1995. The author grew up in derry and this is her first novel. The story is told by Brigid Keen who, at a young age, becomes the maid to Father Mann, a new priest. After 33 years, he ends up in a care home and she loses her job. The story is told as though Brigid is talking to you and recounting her story. It is a slim volume, but there is plenty to think about in terms of social issues inside and is a good window on the culture of Derry at the time.

Knitting Pearls: Writers Writing About Knitting edited by Ann Hood
This book is exactly what the title says it is. It’s the second one edited by Ann Hood, the first being Knitting Yarns, which I read a few years ago. I didn’t know this one existed until I was scrolling through the results of my search for the keyword, ‘knitting’ at the library website. Every once in a while, I do basic searches like that--I can easily see what new stuff has been added, since it is added to the top of the list. It was a fun read.

Murder Under the Christmas Tree: Ten Classic Stories for the Festive Season edited by Cecily Gayford
These were mostly classic authors with a couple of contemporary ones added to the mix. I enjoyed this book a lot, which is not surprising, considering it combines cosy mysteries, short stories, and seasonal stories. I found it while doing a search at the library and decided to request it now, since it will probably be in demand pretty soon.


Happy reading!

No comments: