This afternoon I finished the placemats I'd been making. I'd gone rummaging in the scrap bag to see what was there and found some balls to use. I did not have much so I had to play around with various ideas to see what would work. I ripped things out a couple of times before deciding to do a simple net stitch. This does not use much yarn and grows quickly. I made my two net stitch rectangles and then had to decide what else to do. I wanted something, because it seemed like they were not quite finished. I tried a few things and wasn't feeling the love, so I set them aside. This morning I glanced at a couple of very simple tree motifs I'd made and it dawned on me--I could use those. I sewed the larger one on the multi-coloured mat and then made another tree in the same yarn. But with the plain brown yarn, it seemed like it could use a bit of a pop, so I decided to also use the smaller tree I'd made out of some sock yarn scraps. That brightened it up a little. If I was the sort of person who set a table, I could have left the top of the tree unattached and it would work as a silverware/napkin pocket.
At Christmastime last year, I made some of these and did a surface chain around the edge and sewed a button to the top.
Up Mayo and happy October!